Monday, March 28, 2016

One Happy Camper

So my kiddos are on Spring Break this week, and we've decided to take out our much-neglected RV for a little road trip.  If you're anything like me, when planning for travel, the first packing plans involve what crafty projects to bring along.

Usually, I bring knitting...I always have a few projects in various stages of non-completion at any given time, so there's usually not much to think about.  But this time, I wanted to quilt.  At first I planned on bringing my current hand-piecing project:
Hand-pieced 8 point stars in "Aloha Girl"
I have been working on this project since like November, 2015, and I started it so I would have something to do on the looong 1 1/2 hour car rides to LA to watch my fave hockey team the Kings. We watch hockey games at home too, and while sitting on the couch, I'll pull out my little bag to work on my stars during the 20-minute intermissions.  I guess it's my hockey project!
(Note the hand-knit beanie w/ponytail hole) We LOVE our goalie, Jonathan Quick!!  Go Kings Go!!
So as I was saying, I was planning on bringing this project camping.  But then I saw a pic on Facebook of a quilter who was sewing on a small old Singer in the passenger seat of her car.  What a genius idea!!  So I did an Amazon search (I love that website!) for a small machine.  I decided to take a chance on a mini sewing machine that can be plugged in or run on batteries, for around $15...how could I lose?  Of course I had to grab a mini iron too!
So, for under $30, I had a machine and an iron I could take with me in the RV.  A while ago I had bought a June Taylor Cut and Press (cutting mat on one side, ironing pad on the other) with a 60% off coupon from Joann's, so I was set with travel equimpment!  Now, what to sew?  I dove into my stash:

How appropriate is this adorable "Happy Camper" panel from Riley Blake?  I have 2 coordinating charm packs, so I'm trying to figure out a pattern to incorporate all of this cuteness.  Something rugged or campy, so probably involving a bear paw, a leaf, or a 4- or 9-patch.  Obviously, I'm not sure yet.  But I kind of have an idea.
The PERFECT camping set up!!
I already tried out my machine & iron, and both work great!  The machine is kinda loud, but it stitches, and aligning fabric with the presser foot edge yields a perfect scant 1/4" seam.  Can't wait to play with my new toys on the road!  But I'll bring my hockey project...you know, just in case! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment