Thursday, May 5, 2016

"BLOOM" Sew Along, Block 8...Well, Kinda

 So I should be doing this block for number 8 in Lori Holt's "Bloom" Sew Along:
Credit: "A Bee in My Bonnet".  Click the pic for Lori Holt's tutorial.
The design is pretty, but I've decided that I want to keep with the theme of flowers that actually look planted; unfortunately for this block, it doesn't look like a planted plant.  So, I created alternate designs for all 4 of the blocks in the quilt that have this "X" configuration, and I will replace those.  Yes, this means that I will be re-doing Block 2.

So I grabbed my graph paper, and came up with some what I think are cool designs, using this post from Lori's blog as inspiration.  Here's what I decided on for Block 8:
  
These flowers remind me of daffodils, so I chose fabrics that go along with that notion:

I did my template-tracing, Steam-a-Seam cutting, pressing, precision shape-cutting, and finally arranging.  I pressed the background square in half, and placed the stems so that they intersected at the half-mark.  

How cute, right?  Here's how close I came to the original vision:

I'm pretty proud of how these came out!  So after some applique:

And after the borders:

I'm all done with my alternate Block 8!  Because Block 9 is also a non-planted flower design in the pattern, check in later to see what I came up with as a replacement design... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment