Friday, April 15, 2016

"BLOOM" Sew Along, Block 3

So now on to Block 3 of Lori's Holt's fantabulous "BLOOM" Sew Along.  I'm still way behind, but I'm making progress:
Credit: "A Bee in My Bonnet". Click the pic for Lori's tutorial.
I am already dreading the blanket stitch around those oval flowers!  It's really slow-going around the curves!  Anyway, I picked out my fabrics, and stuck pretty close to the pattern suggestions:

Then I traced the template shapes onto the Steam a Seam 2:

Pookie helped immensely in this process:

After sticking the shapes to the fabric, lightly pressing, then carefully cutting them out, I arranged them like Lori says to:

For this block, I decided to try zig-zag stitch on the stems instead of the thick blanket stitch.  It worked a lot better, and I'll probably be using that technique moving forward on this quilt.  For any future applique projects, I will be zig-zagging...blanket stitch, although cute, is a major pain to sew.  

So I appliqued, squared up, added borders & corners, and viola, Block 3 is done:

Onward to Block 4!  Ever onward!!

No comments:

Post a Comment